Sunday, October 2, 2016

Interpreting the Mysteries Hidden in Artwork


Have you ever looked at a piece of art and wondered what it is or what it means? 

While I find it seems to be a common occurrence with abstracts, you may be surprised to find that other styles of art may reveal mysteries and hidden images. Some may appear to a viewer as one thing, but yet be something entirely different. For instance, take a close look at this painting done by my late cousin Denny Luckett. 

What do you see?


"Old Indian Woman" by Denny Luckett

For years, I saw an abstract looking sailboat. This  painting has been in my family since I was a very young child. It wasn't until years later that it was passed down and explained to me that I was able to see the "Old Indian Woman" using a walking cane while carrying a papoose on her back. Although I never was able to meet my distant cousin, I always admired his work. I'm sure he intended for this beautiful painting to have dual meanings to the viewer. Just a couple of weeks ago, I did my own version of this painting. I respect his talents even more since I've executed my own version changing the colors for a different, brighter and more vivid look.

"Old Indian Woman" by Tina A Stoffel

This new painting is a 16 x 20 oil on canvas and will be available at my upcoming show at the Marietta Artisan Market next weekend, October 8, 2016. 


Another interesting painting...

I've had the privilege of networking with many talented artists. One of them, named Myke Irving, consistently hides images in his work. I didn't know this until recently, but take a look. Can you find the hidden images in his painting? 


 
Painting by Myke Irving Titled "Five Fish and South America"

Below, Myke reveals the hidden images:


Myke Iriving 
"Five Fish and South America Painting"

This is a 24 x 28 inch oil on canvas painted in 2016.
Myke has circled and then roughly drawn in the fish which are circled in pink and drawn in blue. He circled South America in green then drew it with purple . This is a place where he grew up. It is near a place called Willoughby Spit located in Norfolk, VA.


I enjoy how Myke does this with his work. He is an amazing and very talented artist. An interesting fact is that he is also ambidextrous and able to paint with both  hands. To see Myke Irving's wonderful work, visit him at one of the following links:



Upcoming Show

Also, remember, you can find me and my newest painting next week, October 8, 2016 from 9am-2pm at the Marietta Artisan Market located on Mill Street at the Marietta Square, Marietta, Georgia. At this point and time, this is the last show I have planned for the  year. 


Hope to see you there!

Written by Tina A Stoffel

No comments:

Post a Comment